Every wekk or so I have to delete my arp cache  on my  Windows 2003  print server  ?
Every wekk or so I have to delete my arp cache on my Windows 2003 print server ? once it is deleted person are able to print properly again from their domain client. Yes all machines are on the same domain and the same VLAN
November 18th, 2009 10:02pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the users cannot print from the client machines until the ARP cache is cleared on the printer server with Windows Server 2003. Now I would like to confirm the following questions as this issue is not very clear. 1. Can we ping to the Printer Server when this issue occurs? 2. Is it a clustered print server? 3. Have you ever checked the ARP cache when the issue occurs? Is there any incorrect ARP entry for printer server? 4. Does any error message show up when the users cannot print from the client machines? If so, please capture a screenshot. How to capture a Screenshot: ======================= 1. Please press the Print Screen key (Putsch) on your keyboard. 2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK. 3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the screenshot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save. 4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop, and use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address. In this case, please manually add a static ARP entry for printer server and check if this issue will occur. If the problem continues, please take the time to collect the following two information: Info1: Network monitor traffic =========== Download and install Wireshark on the problematic client machine http://www.wireshark.org/download.html Run it and start capture. Please reproduce this issue and then stop capture. Info2: Please collect the Setup&Performance version of MPSReport from the printer server ============================================================= a. Download the MPS Report Tool from the following link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE b. After the download is complete, double-click this " MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE" file. Then a CAB file will be generated called %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. For example, if your computer name is "MyComputer", this CAB file will be named "MyComputer_MPSReports.CAB". c. Open My Computer, browse to the "%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Logs\CAB" folder. You can find the CAB file above and please send it to me. Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address. Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2009 1:01pm

1. Can we ping to the Printer Server when this issue occurs?YEs 2. Is it a clustered print server? NO 3. Have you ever checked the ARP cache when the issue occurs? Is there any incorrect ARP entry for printer server?No but will check 4. Does any error message show up when the users cannot print from the client machines? If so, please capture a screenshot. No screen shot appears , the person just cant print
November 23rd, 2009 5:15am

Hi,Thanks for the update.Please access the printer server by typing \\printerserver in the Run command from the problematic client machine.Are these networking printers shown up? Can you open these printers?Meanwhile, please take the time to collect the relevant information mentioned above.Thanks,Miles
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 24th, 2009 6:35am

Hi there,As miles suggested, i would first check with the netmon / ethereal trace to find out the cause of ARP cache behavior. once your clients does a successful connection ( TCP / UDP ) makes sure that you run arp -a to check for the entries and let us know.
November 24th, 2009 8:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics